Fetal Cardiology Consultation
What is it?
In cases of complicated pregnancies, pre-natal monitoring of the baby's heart may be necessary. Fetal cardiology consultation focuses on diagnosis and management of heart problems in the developing fetus. A fetal echocardiogram can help evaluate the structure and function of the baby's heart starting at about 18 to 20 weeks of gestation. With regular consultations and testing throughout pregnancy, our team of specialists can work with the mother and family to:
- Evaluate and diagnose fetal heart defects early
- Initiate fetal heart therapies
- Plan for the baby's delivery
- Determine necessary treatments for the baby immediately after birth, including medical management, cardiac surgery, or other medical interventions
- Develop long-term treatment plans for the baby
- Ensure optimal care of the mother during pregnancy and after
- Provide genetic counseling
The Loyola difference
Loyola is a nationally recognized leader in cardiac care. U.S. News & World Report ranked us 18th in the nation for cardiology and heart surgery in 2012, making this our 10th year in the top 50.
Learn more about our performance outcomes.