Diagnostic tests and services
The FAC offers a range of fetal assessment tests and other services.
- Advanced obstetrical ultrasound – a painless, noninvasive procedure to detect conditions that could affect the baby’s development and delivery.
- Amniocentesis – a procedure that can detect Down syndrome and other birth defects
- Nonstress test – a procedure that measures changes in fetal heart rate and assesses fetal well-being
- Fetal heart rate/well-being tests – a procedure to check the developing baby’s heart for structural defects
- Genetic counseling – counseling and genetic testing for couples whose baby is at risk for a birth defect or an inherited disease
- Perinatal consultation – for special medical concerns, expert consultation that continues throughout the pregnancy and into the month after the baby’s birth
Following your tests
In all cases, we collaborate closely with your referring physician and we strive to return you to the care of your own doctor as soon as possible. However, if you have serious complications, Loyola offers a complete range of services to see you through a difficult pregnancy. If appropriate, patients are referred to:
- Maternal-fetal medicine - A team of physicians and other caregivers who specialize in the complete care of pregnant women with medical or surgical complications during pregnancy
- Perinatal Center - Health-care professional who care for high-risk infants immediately after birth