You are here
February 01, 2013
Loyola Sponsors Mobile Heart Screenings
The Loyola University Health System mobile unit is offering comprehensive heart screening tests throughout the Chicago area.
Six preventive tests of the heart and arteries are offered for $179. Such tests would cost $2,300 at a typical medical facility.
Screenings are scheduled throughout the Chicagoland area. Upcoming screenings are listed on this page, so check back often to find a screening near you.
The heart disease, stroke and aneurysm screening program includes:
- Echocardiogram (ECHO) Ultrasound Test. Video ultrasound of the heart, which may detect enlargement of the heart, valve abnormalities, blood clots and tumors.
- Electrocardiogram (EKG). Provides a picture of the heart's electrical activity, which may predict pending heart attack, irregular rhythms and other problems.
- Hardening of the Arteries (ASI) Test. Arteriosclerosis reduces flexibility in the arteries. The higher the ASI, the more likely there is hardening of the arteries.
- Stroke/Carotid Artery Ultrasound Test. Identifies plaque buildup in the carotid arteries, which is a leading cause of stroke.
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Test. Leg cramps due to poor circulation could indicate something more serious. This screening measures the extremities for peripheral arterial disease.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Ultrasound. Checks for aneurysms in the abdomen. The danger lies in the risk of the aneurysms bursting or rupturing. (A four-hour fast is required.)
Also offered is a $99 Five-year Disease Risk and Lipid Panel. This is a personalized report that predicts your five-year risk for major diseases, including stroke, diabetes and heart disease. Results are available while you wait.
The screenings are sponsored by Loyola University Health System and performed by HealthFair. Test results are read by board-certified physicians. HealthFair is the only mobile screening company of its kind that is accredited by the Joint Commission, the gold standard in health care.
Loyola's six-test package and Five-year Disease Risk and Lipid Panel are available only at the screening bus. Spaces are limited. To make an appointment call (855) 588-TEST (855-588-8378) or visit LoyolaMedicineHealthFair.com.