You are here
August 22, 2012
Loyola Sponsors Mobile Heart Screenings
Six Tests for $179
MAYWOOD -- A new Loyola University Health System mobile unit will begin offering comprehensive heart screening tests throughout the Chicago area.
Six preventive tests of the heart and arteries will be offered for $179. Such tests would cost $2,300 at a typical medical facility.
In September, screenings are scheduled in Burr Ridge, Countryside, Darien, Elmhurst, Glen Ellyn, Hinsdale, Joliet, Lombard, Northbrook, Oak Lawn, Oak Park, Orland Park, Palos Heights, Westmont, Wheaton and Willowbrook.
The heart disease, stroke and aneurysm prevention program includes:
- Echocardiogram (ECHO) Ultrasound Test. Video ultrasound of the heart, which may detect enlargement of the heart, valve abnormalities, blood clots and tumors.
- Electrocardiogram (EKG). Provides a picture of the heart's electrical activity, which may predict pending heart attack, irregular rhythms and other problems.
- Hardening of the Arteries (ASI) Test. Arteriosclerosis reduces flexibility in the arteries. The higher the ASI, the more likely there is hardening of the arteries.
- Stroke/Carotid Artery Ultrasound Test. Identifies plaque buildup in the carotid arteries, which is a leading cause of stroke.
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) Test. Leg cramps due to poor circulation could indicate something more serious. This screening measures the extremities for peripheral arterial disease.
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Ultrasound. Checks for aneurysms in the abdomen. The danger lies in the risk of the aneurysms bursting or rupturing. (A four-hour fast is required.)
Also offered is a $99 Five-year Disease Risk and Lipid Panel. This is a personalized report that predicts your five-year risk for major diseases, including stroke, diabetes, heart disease and lung cancer. Results are available while you wait. The screenings are sponsored by Loyola University Health System and performed by HealthFair. Test results are read by board-certified physicians. HealthFair is the only mobile screening company of its kind that is accredited by the Joint Commission, the gold standard in health care. Loyola's six-test package and Five-year Disease Risk and Lipid Panel are available only at the screening bus. Spaces are limited.
To make an appointment call (855) 585 TEST (8378) or go online to LoyolaHealthFair.com.
Loyola University Health System (LUHS) is a member of Trinity Health. Based in the western suburbs of Chicago, LUHS is a quaternary care system with a 61-acre main medical center campus, the 36-acre Gottlieb Memorial Hospital campus and more than 30 primary and specialty care facilities in Cook, Will and DuPage counties. The medical center campus is conveniently located in Maywood, 13 miles west of the Chicago Loop and 8 miles east of Oak Brook, Ill. The heart of the medical center campus is a 559-licensed-bed hospital that houses a Level 1 Trauma Center, a Burn Center and the Ronald McDonald® Children's Hospital of Loyola University Medical Center. Also on campus are the Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center, Loyola Outpatient Center, Center for Heart & Vascular Medicine and Loyola Oral Health Center as well as the LUC Stritch School of Medicine, the LUC Marcella Niehoff School of Nursing and the Loyola Center for Fitness. Loyola's Gottlieb campus in Melrose Park includes the 255-licensed-bed community hospital, the Professional Office Building housing 150 private practice clinics, the Adult Day Care, the Gottlieb Center for Fitness, Loyola Center for Metabolic Surgery and Bariatric Care and the Loyola Cancer Care & Research at the Marjorie G. Weinberg Cancer Center at Melrose Park.