COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Update: Learn More About Loyola Medicine Care During COVID-19.
Protecting Yourself from COVID-19
There is currently no vaccine to prevent coronavirus. The best way to prevent illness is to avoid exposure.
In general, we recommend taking the following precautions to avoid exposure:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the restroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60-95% alcohol, covering all surfaces of your hands and rubbing them together until they feel dry. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Facemasks: The CDC recommends that people who are well wear a cloth facemask when going out in public, especially to places where social distancing is difficult (i.e., grocery stores, pharmacies) to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
Precautions You Can Take if You Have COVID-19
You can take precautions to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. If you have or suspect you have COVID-19, follow the steps below to help prevent the disease from spreading to people in your home and community:
- Stay home except to get medical care
- Separate yourself from other people and animals
- Wear a face mask
- Cover your coughs and sneezes
- Wash or sanitize your hands often
- Avoid sharing personal items
- Clean all "high-touch" surfaces everyday
- Monitor any symptoms you might be experiencing
- If you feel sick with fever, cough, have difficulty breathing, or if you have been in close contact with a person known to have COVID-19, please call our Patient Access Center at 888-584-7888, Monday through Friday from 7 am – 4:30 pm.